Favorite Multigrain Muffins
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- ¾ cup soy-flour blend
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup flax meal
- ¼ cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blueberries ∗
- 1 cup soy beverage, plain or vanilla
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 3 ounces soft tofu
- In a mixing bowl, combine white whole-wheat flour, soy-flour blend, brown sugar, flax meal, oatmeal, baking powder and salt.
- Add blueberries, and stir to coat lightly with flour mixture.
- In a second mixing bowl or large measuring mixing cup, combine soy milk, vegetable oil and egg. Using a sieve over the measuring cup, press the tofu through the sieve; blend with liquid ingredients.
- Add liquid mixture to dry mixture, and stir until moistened.
- Place batter in greased muffin tins or muffin tins lined with paper liners.
- Bake at 400 F for 18–22 minutes or until wooden pick inserted comes out clean.
Makes 12 muffins
∗ Optional variations: ½ cup grated apple or ½ cup mashed banana
Nutrition information per serving (1 muffin / 86 g): 226 calories; 11 g fat (2 g saturated); 16 mg cholesterol; 206 mg sodium; 28 g carbohydrate; 3 g fiber; 5 g protein