Apple Crumble Bars
(a gluten-free recipe)
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups brown-rice flour
- ¼ cup soy flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 cup peeled and diced apple (about 1 apple)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the vegetable oil and sugar.
- Add brown-rice flour, soy flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; mix well.
- Continue mixing until the dough comes together; it will be quite thick.
- Press two-thirds of the dough evenly into the prepared pan.
- Set aside remaining dough for the topping.
- Prepare filling in a microwave-safe bowl: Combine apple, ¼ cup sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and ¼ cup water; mix well. Microwave on high for about 2 minutes until the apples are soft and the sauce is clear and thick. Stir and check topping after 1 minute. Spread the mixture over the top of the dough in the pan.
- Crumble remaining dough on top of apple filling.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes, until lightly browned and toothpick tests cleanly. Cool.
Makes 15 cookies
Modified from The Ultimate Gluten Free Cookie Book