Layered Tofu Salad With Warm Soy Sauce Dressing
- 2 large heads iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 3 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 3 quarts bean sprouts
- 9 medium tomatoes, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 3 pounds Silken tofu, cut in ½-inch cubes
- 1½ pounds canned red salmon or light tuna
- 3 cups (3 ounces) watercress, cut into 1-inch pieces (optional)
- ¾ teaspoon bottled hot-pepper sauce
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1½ cups vegetable (soybean) oil
- 1½ cups green onions, minced
- 9 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1½ teaspoons sugar
For buffets, layer salad ingredients in order of listing in a large, shallow bowl or serving platter. Just before serving, heat ingredients for Warm Soy Sauce Dressing. Toss salad and serve.
For a sit-down meal, toss salad and serve about 2 cups per serving. Garnish with choice of cherry tomatoes, sliced red onions, sweet red or yellow peppers, sugar pea pods, or sliced cucumbers.
Nutrition per serving (about 2 cups): 395 calories, 21 g fat, 6 g fiber, 1 g saturated fat, 27 g carbohydrates, 25 mg cholesterol, 1787 mg sodium, 29 g protein
Note: For a “Kansas version” of this recipe, add ½-inch ham cubes and thinly sliced beef. Also added were canned black soybeans and edamame beans.