Granola Fruit Bars
- 2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- ¾ cup flaked coconut
- ¾ cup wheat germ
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup soynut butter
- ¼ cup margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried cherries
- ½ cup roasted, salted soy nuts
- On baking sheet, combine oatmeal, almonds, coconut and wheat germ.
- Bake at 400 F for 5 minutes and stir; bake an additional 5–7 minutes until lightly browned.
- Place mixture in large mixing bowl.
- Add dried cherries and soy nuts to oatmeal mixture.
- In saucepan, combine brown sugar, honey, soynut butter, margarine, vanilla, cinnamon and salt.
- Bring mixture to a boil then simmer for 1 minute. Pour over oatmeal mixture, and stir to combine well.
- Place mixture into greased 11-by-8-inch baking dish lined with parchment paper; top with another parchment paper; and press down to compact evenly.
- Cool in refrigerator or let set for several hours; cut into 1-by-4-inch bars.
Makes about 22 bars
Nutrition per serving (49 g): 201 calories; 8 g fat (2 g saturated; 0 trans fats); 0 cholesterol; 57 mg sodium; 29 g carbohydrate; 3 g fiber; 5 g protein; 39 mg calcium; 1 mg iron